Menu

Creating A Beautiful Indoor Environment


About Me

Creating A Beautiful Indoor Environment

For years, I had problems with the way that my house looked, but I lacked the funding to renovate like I wanted to. Fortunately, I fell into some money a few years ago, and it made a tremendous difference. I was able to hire a team of professional contractors who could help me to create the kind of home that I wanted, and it was a really amazing feeling to have things underway. This blog is here to help people to know how to make their house into what they want by working with contractors. Check out these tips to start living like you never have before.

Latest Posts

Signs Your Home Needs Foundation Repairs
14 May 2019

As a homeowner, it would be a dream come true if e

Doing Construction Work In A New Area? Why You Should Get Professional Field Dressing Services
9 February 2019

Whether building new houses in a different part of

Signs Of Foundation Problems And Repairing Foundations
9 February 2019

Concrete foundations generally have some settlemen

Getting The Right Pump For Your Well
25 December 2018

Having a well drilled on your property is an excel

Building Materials Can Lower The Cost Of Your Homeowners Insurance
15 November 2018

When you work with a home builder to design and bu

Poorly Maintained Chimneys: What Are The Dangers?

Your fireplace is a source of beauty and comfort, particularly during the cold winter months. However, a dirty or broken chimney can cause a frightening variety of medical conditions. If you haven't had your chimney professionally cleaned and repaired recently, you need to call a professional today. 

Creosote

Creosote, a tar-like substance, can build up in any chimney, but this buildup is worse when your chimney has structural problems. These issues are often not visible to the average person. Creosote buildup is a health hazard that can cause a number of unpleasant symptoms, including skin irritation, abdominal issues, mental confusion, respiratory problems, and other serious conditions. To prevent this problem, you should have your chimney inspected and cleaned each year before fireplace season begins. 

Carbon Monoxide

Cracks in the chimney flue or other breaks in your chimney can allow carbon monoxide into your home. Carbon monoxide is deadly because people are often overcome by it before they realize there is a problem. If the levels are too low to kill you, they can still cause serious physical harm, including permanent brain damage and organ injury. These lower levels can also make you feel exhausted, depressed, and achy. If you have these symptoms, consult with a doctor and have your chimney checked. 

Chimney Soot

A dirty chimney can expose you to high levels of soot, the powdery residue left after something burns. If your chimney is blocked in some way, the soot will enter your home, which will obviously cause a huge mess. More importantly, you will end up inhaling it, which can cause respiratory issues. The particles are so tiny that you easily breathe them in, often without realizing it. Soot contains some dangerous substances, including dioxin, that cause lung conditions. Soot, in gas form, is known to contain polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons which are considered carcinogens by researchers. In short, soot is a dirty nuisance, but that's the least of its negative effects. To protect your health, you need to have your chimney cleaned and inspected.

A fireplace can be the center of family life, providing cozy warmth and a place for everyone, including pets, to congregate. Unfortunately, a poorly maintained fireplace can be a serious health hazard. Unless you examine the inside of the chimney, you often cannot tell that there is a dangerous creosote buildup or structural problems. You need to consult with a professional chimney cleaning and repair service like Excel Chimney & Fireplace Service each year to keep your fireplace burning brightly and safely.